The lockdown has made recall several things that we might have forgotten
- Cleanliness is next to Godliness
- Personal Hygiene is important
- It is important to clean the surroundings to remain healthy.
- Nature is the most powerful.
With the spread of this contagious disease, we need to exercise certain precautions to be healthy. Apart from increasing our immunity levels, by making the right choices, we need to keep the surroundings clean. In the previous article, we have mentioned how to disinfect the kitchen area, and the products that aid us in doing so. In this article, we have curated tips on how to disinfect our fridge.
1 Empty the fridge contents
- Take everything outside the fridge, including its inner cabinets, bins and side storage section. Keep everything on the counter till the fridge is completely empty.
- Toss the food items that are expired or moldy, especially vegetables and fruits that are ripe or have turned mushy.
- Combine the condiments into a single container if it is added in more than one jar, like ketchup or mayonnaise. The aim is to get rid of the extra space that your containers might occupy.
- In the freezer, if there is any meat or vegetables that are improperly stored or stored or too long, it needs to be removed.
2.Clean the fridge
- Clean the drawers and let them soak in warm water and soap. Wash it properly and let it dry before you put them back in the refrigerator.
- Wipe the shelves with soapy water or multi-purpose spray and dry it.
- Remove the side storage shelves if they come out from the fridge and rinse it with water.
- Scrub away spills and grime from the fridge.
What kind of products should you use to clean the fridge?
You should always use gentle kitchen cleaning products to clean the fridge. There are certain kitchen cleaning products that claim to destroy 100% of bacteria and viruses, but these products contain chemicals and they should not directly or indirectly come in contact with the food you eat, it is not worth the risk as it could lead to food contamination. Instead of harsh chemicals, you can use normal kitchen dishwashing products with warm water to wipe the surface of the fridge. Follow the instructions if you are using any kitchen cleaning product.
Can I use disinfectant when cleaning the fridge?
The disinfectants like bleach should not be used to clean the fridge. If any disinfectant comes into contact with food it can make people sick because of the strong chemicals that they entail. Buy only those products that are a safe to use inside the fridge.
What can you use to clean the fridge?
You should always use natural products to clean the refrigerator, as they are safe way to keep the appliance clean. Regular baking soda is useful to remove stains and bad odor, while white vinegar can be used to clean refrigerator doors if it is made from stainless steel. Test on a small area to prevent any adverse effects.
Which is the best cleaning method to clean the fridge?
Once you have all the products in hand to clean the fridge, now the next step is to clean it.
- As told above empty the contents, even if you are using natural cleaners. Having an empty fridge makes the process so much easy and removes the chances of contamination.
- Take out removable parts like shelves and drawers and let it soak in the soap water before rinsing and washing.
- Wipe the surface with commercial wipes. Use a microfiber cloth or sponge- these tools will help to clean the fridge.
- For stubborn stains blend a small quantity of baking soda with water and apply thick paste on the stain. Let it settle for an hour and after that wipe it away.
How to deodorize food?
Depending upon the type of food that you store in the fridge, even if it is regularly cleaned, it can smell. Cheese, garlic and other strong-odor foods are responsible for the unpleasant odor in the fridge even when the food is in good shape. The best way to store them is in air-tight containers, another option is to take a cup of baking soda and keep it inside the fridge. Baking soda can absorb the strong smell from inside the appliance.
3 Put everything back
- Once you have cleaned the refrigerator, organize the contents, fruits, vegetables, meats, storage items, condiments, the beverage section, etc.
- If you store items for small kids, make sure it is labeled and organized.
- Ensure that drawers are set to proper humidity levels to keep food fresh.
4 Don’t forget to clean the outside of the fridge
- Ensure that you clean the outside of the fridge too, including its handles and inside of the doors with disinfect spray.
- If you have stainless steel refrigerator, use a multi-purpose spray that may leave spots. You might want to wipe with multi-purpose disinfecting spray and then apply a stainless steel polish.
Time saving tips to clean the fridge
- Clean the fridge once in a month and it will make the entire cleaning process faster, twice in a year. In this way, you have less mess and tough stains.
- Clean the refrigerator till right before grocery shipping when the fridge is empty. You will have a better idea to pick up what things. This is the right time to get the sparkle clean the fridge.
- Keep the condenser coils clean from dirt and grime. You can use a refrigerator brush to clean the coil. Don’t forget to unplug the refrigerator before cleaning.
In the end, we would like to conclude that by following these steps you can get the clean and bright fridge in 20 minutes. The more often you clean the refrigerator, the faster and easier it is for you to remain organized and keep the food fresh.
Watch the video