Kitchens are considered as soul of the home. It is a place that gets dirtier than the rest of the home. Consequently, it is only one place that requires more attention in keeping it clean, more so because it is a place where you cook the meals. Where there is food, there are bacteria, it is a truth, so it is important to handle the food properly and clean the kitchen regularly. It is one of the best ways to safeguard your family members from infection and illness. Rotten food when left exposed or in the fridge is a breeding ground for bacteria. The areas in the kitchen that comes in direct contact with food should get your attention at the most. Now, such araes include: kitchen countertops, sinks and draining board. These areas should be thoroughly cleaned more than once. Cutting vegetables and meat is done mostly on the counter tops so they are more prone to such mishaps. So, before you engage in this exercise, it is important to clean the surface thoroughly and in order to provide any contamination due to cockroaches prowling, lizards dropping, ants pouring, remember below-mentioned tips.
What do you think is cleaning the kitchen counter top enough?
- Is it enough to just take a rag or paper towel and wipe the kitchen area and believe that you have cleaned the kitchen? Well, if you think it is sufficient then you are mistaken. Even cleaning the counter top with warm water and soap is also not enough though it might help a little. You also need to disinfect the kitchen and it helps to prevent bacteria from infecting the food. Moist environment is ideal for growth of fungus, mold and bacteria. The first and foremost thing that you need to consider is no food spills are left on the counter top. No unattended spills, means no bacteria. cLean and disinfect what you need to do immediately. These are the tips that help to protect the food. Cleaning will reduce dirt and grime but also eliminates bacteria. If you are using a sponge to wipe and clean the counter tops ensure that you clean them after every use, dry them thoroughly. Replace sponge after every couple of weeks. This is the best way to get rid of bacteria. Microwaving sponges kills 99 percent of bacteria. Cool the sponge before its use. You can even sanitize sponges and dishrags using a bleach solution. Use warm, soapy water to clean the countertops and other kitchen surfaces before and after preparation of food. But cleaning the surface is not enough. You need to disinfect the surface area. The dreaded bacteria salmonella, E coli and other kind of bacteria can survive on kitchen counter tops for hours and even days and often disinfecting the surfaces is better than cleaning it. Using bleach is another easy and best way to clean the kitchen counter tops and is effective in disinfecting the area. Here are tips:
- Clean the kitchen counter tops with warm soapy water thoroughly
- Make a solution with water and household bleach
- Wipe the counter tops with this solution and let it to dry
- Wipe it with a clean cloth or even sponge
You may even use other disinfectants like vinegar and hydrogen peroxide to clean the kitchen counter tops and other kitchen surfaces. Individually, these good disinfectants are good at killing germs or bacteria individually, but combining together is equally effective. It is how you can do it:
Buy dark colored spray bottle and pour hydrogen peroxide with 3% strength
Fill the spray bottle with white vinegar
Wash the countertops and other kitchen surface with soap and water
Spray the white vinegar all over the areas followed by spraying the hydrogen peroxide
It is all what you can do. The smell of vinegar will dissipate.
Remember: never blend vinegar and hydrogen peroxide in a single bottle of spray because vinegar will transform hydrogen peroxide to pure water and it will lose its natural effectiveness. Never use spray bottle or any disinfectants near food items.